Stop 1 Central Park Conservatory Water
74th Street & 5th AvenueInspired by the model boat ponds of late 19th century Paris, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux created a place where children and adults alike could experience the pleasure of boating, in addition to the other attractions Conservatory Water has to offer.Not an original part of Olmsted and Vaux's "Greensward Plan" for the Park, Conservatory Water was initially intended to be a small pool for a glass house and formal, ornamental flower garden. When the upkeep of this plan proved itself too costly, Conservatory Water and Conservatory Garden were created in its place.This 72nd street site is bordered by the whimsical Alice in Wonderland statue to the north, as well as a sculpture of children's author Hans Christian Anderson reading his tale, The Ugly Duckling, to the west. While open for ice skating during the winter months, the pond is best known as a place for boating in spring and summertime, mentioned as such in E.B. White's Stuart Little.Conservatory Water holds its boating season from April to October each year. Races are held on Saturdays, beginning around 10:00 am. Boat rentals are available at the Kerbs Memorial Boathouse, as are lessons for the budding model boat enthusiast.
Stop 2 Hans Christian Andersen Statue
East 74th StreetCentral Park's Hans Christian Andersen statue was erected in 1956 to commemorate the author's 150th birthday.This tribute to the Danish poet, novelist, and children's author, was made possible because of a large donation by the Danish American Women's Association.The large, bronze statue depicts Andersen seated upon a granite bench, reading from his book The Ugly Duckling. Sculpted by Georg John Lober, this children's statue is meant to be climbed on and is a popular attraction for kids.Part of the reason for its popularity is the Saturday morning storytelling that takes place during the summer months at the foot of the statue. From 11AM-12PM, held rain or shine, June, July, August & September. Young children are treated to readings of Andersen's well-known tales, such as The Little Mermaid, Thumbelina, The Little Match Girl and The Ugly Duckling.Celebrity performers such as Victor Borge, Eva la Gallienne, Fanny Hurst and Celeste Holm have also visited, telling their favorite stories.The stories are appropriate for children six years and up. Parents or guardians are asked to sit with their children.
Stop 3 Alice in Wonderland
77 Street off of 5th AveProbably the park’s most beloved sculpture, it is a depiction in bronze of a group of our favorite characters from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Perched stage center upon an enormous mushroom, Alice holds court. Grouped around her are the other unlikely invitees to the party. They include: The Mad Hatter (rumored to be a caricature of the patron that sponsored the piece), The March Hare, The Cheshire Cat, The White Rabbit, Alice’s Cat Dinah and, of course, the bashful Dormouse.To honor his wife Margarita, Philanthropist George Delacorte commissioned the sculpture from José de Creeft in 1959. His design is patterned on the illustrations drawn by John Tenniel for the first edition of the book. Alice herself is said to resemble de Creeft’s daughter, Donna. De Creeft also included lines from Mrs. Delacorte’s favorite poem, “The Jabberwocky.” You can find them engraved in a granite circle around his work:
Stop 4 Egypitan Obelisk
Behind the MetThough often referred to by its nickname, Cleopatra's Needle, this ancient artifact was in fact commissioned by Pharaoh Thutmosis III around 1450 BC in celebration of his 3rd jubilee (or the 30th year of his reign). Two of these obelisks were constructed, and, around 13 or 12BC, they were transported from Heliopolis to Alexandria. The pair was separated in the late 19th century; one was sent to London and another to New York City, both by the Khedive of Egypt in exchange for aid in modernizing his country.The Obelisk's move to New York City was nothing short of arduous. Once in the City, it took laborers four months to simply move it from the Hudson River to Central Park where it now stands, located behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art.The Obelisk is known as the oldest man-made construction in Central Park. Its shaft is 71 feet high and weighs about 200 tons. Each corner of the Obelisk's base is supported by huge, 900 pound bronze replicas of sea crabs originally created by the Romans while it was in Alexandria. Each year visitors come to marvel at this piece of history, officially designated a scenic landmark in 1974 by the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission.The Obelisk was a gift from Egypt to Central Park in 1881. Since then it has been the tallest structure and one of the most popular tourists sights in Central Park. In 2011, the Egyptian government threated to take back the Obelisk due to neglect. It took three years of planning and $500,000, (an amount that was raised privately by the Central Park Conservancy), to remove 3500 years of grime. The deterioration of the obelisk had less to do with conditions in New York City than the fact that, at some point in its history, it had toppled over and lay in desert sands for 500 years.
Stop 5 North Meadow
97th StreetNorth of the Great Lawn, at 97th Street, lies the Central Park North Meadow. This large, 23-acre meadow includes twelve fields to be used for soccer, touch football, baseball, and softball. A great choice for families with children, the North Meadow offers programs and sports in which visitors of all ages can participate.The North Meadow Recreation Center offers fitness courses for children and teens, lends out sporting goods, and even includes basketball and handball courts.
Bonus Stop Conservatory Gardens
105 Street & 5th AvenueOne of the hidden wonders of Central Park is the Conservatory Gardens.A secluded oasis, just a few steps down from one of the City’s busiest thoroughfares; the garden offers a fragrant respite from the gasp and clatter of the urban afternoon.To enter the gardens, you must pass through the Vanderbilt Gate.The only formal garden in Central Park, the Conservatory Garden derives its name from a huge glass conservatory that once stood on the same spot, which was built in 1898.While not the impressive construct included by Olmsted and Vaux in the original Greensward Plan, it was put to brilliant use by the head gardener of the new park, Ignaz Pilat.It was here that many of the first shrubs and trees that were later planted in the park were first cultivated.When maintenance of the facility became too costly it was torn down in 1934 and replaced with the present garden in 1934.The Conservatory Garden is filled with a myriad of plant life, from carefully cultivated heirloom roses to the most common of indigenous flowers, while portions of the grounds are delineated by hedges of English yew, barberry, Korean holly and the serendipitously named “Manhattan.” The Garden itself is divided into three distinct sections, each representing its own specific style.These are the north or French Garden, the Central or Italian Garden and the south or English Garden.
Stop 6 Lasker Rink and Pool
107th Street and East DriveLasker Rink and Pool. Situated between 106th and 108th Streets in mid-park, nestled between loops of the park drive, you’ll find Lasker Rink and Pool. It was constructed in the late 1960’s, made possible by a contribution by the extremely philanthropic (and wealthy) Lasker sisters. While they clearly had the best of intentions, and there is no doubt that the facilities have provided a wonderful boon to the community, the project itself was fought over bitterly for years. It displaced a corner of The Meer and was therefore seen by park purists to be nothing short of desecration. While we may thank the vigilance of concerned citizens and dedicated commissioners for keeping literally dozens of absurd and inappropriate additions from ever coming to fruition (a racetrack and a housing project being just two examples), it is difficult to get too worked up over this installation. Especially if you are close enough to hear the happy screams of landlocked city children splashing about on a hot summer day.
Stop 7 The Ravine
103rd StreetThere are at least five waterfalls in Central Park, and all are completely man-made. Most are located in the Ravine, the stream valley section of the North Woods. (Click on the image to the right to see more)The water that flows through them is New York City drinking water that comes from a 48-inch pipe hidden by the rocks at the Pool Grotto on West 100th Street, yet the waterfalls look very natural. Charming stone bridges cross the stream, and the area is cool and quiet.Watching the water gush down the giant boulders into dark ponds, it is easy to forget you are in the middle of Manhattan.
Stop 8 Harlem Meer
109th Street North East End of ParkEleven acres of water surrounded by lush vegetation and immersed in a tranquil atmosphere compose the Harlem Meer.Named after the Dutch word for "small sea", the Meer is a large body of water located north of Conservatory Garden and east of the North Woods. Various types of trees can be found along its banks, including the ginkgo, cypress, black locust, oak, and beech trees.Roses are in full bloom during the springtime, while summer-blooming hydrangea often make their first appearance in late May. Visitors can enjoy the beauty of these plants while walking along the pathway that leads from the cove to the water's edge; muskrats and black-crowned night herons may even make themselves visible here occasionally.Also in the vicinity are Fort Clinton and Nutter's Battery, gun emplacements that had been intended for use during the War of 1812. Activities at the Harlem Meer include the ever-popular catch-and-release fishing, two children's playgrounds, and the Lasker Rink, open for skating in winter and swimming in summer.
Stop 9 The Pool
100 Street and West DriveWith its grassy banks, weeping willows, and rushing waterfall, the Pool is one of the most idyllic spots in the Park. Central Park's designers, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, constructed the Pool by damming up a natural stream that was known as Montayne's Rivulet. They sent the water along a northeastward course to form both the Loch and the Harlem Meer. Today, the water that gushes out of a grotto on the Pool's southern shoreline is in actuality New York City drinking water that comes from a pipe hidden deep in the rocks. Many species of birds, fish, and amphibians can be seen at the Pool. In 2003, Central Park Conservancy completed a restoration of the Pool, protecting it as a healthy environment for wildlife and a picturesque landscape for Park visitors.
Bonus Stop Gothic Bridge
94th Street & ReservoirReservoir Bridge (West 94th Street), often called "Gothic Bridge" because of its reference to Gothic design, is officially known as Bridge No. 28. Designed in 1864 and made of cast iron and steel, Gothic Bridge is the third of the great Central Park cast iron bridges around the Reservoir, and one of the most impressive bridges designed by Calvert Vaux and the Cornell Ironworks.
Stop 10 Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir
91st StreetOfficially named the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in 1994, the Reservoir is famed for the 1.58 mile track that encircles the 106-acre body of water.This favorite jogging spot of Jackie O, Bill Clinton, and a number of other influential people covers approximately 1/8th of the Park and holds over a billion gallons of water.From its 86th street location, the Reservoir offers runners one of the best views of the city skyline, and allows birdwatchers a great location in which to spot herons, egrets, coots, and loons.When the Reservoir was built in 1862, its original purpose was to provide clean water for the city. While this function is not carried out today, the Reservoir does distribute water to other Central Park locations, such as the Pool, the Loch, and the Harlem Meer.
Stop 11 The Arthur Ross Pinetum
84th and 86th Street TransverseThe Arthur Ross Pinetum is a four-acre landscape that features 17 different species of pine trees.Evergreens played an important role in the original plan for Central Park. Designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux planned a "Winter Drive" of pines, spruces and firs that stretched along the Park's western carriage road from 72nd to 102nd Street. By the end of the 19th century, when the original trees needed replacement, they were replaced with deciduous trees.In the 1970s, native New Yorker and philanthropist Arthur Ross set out to return pine trees to Central Park. Due to a professional background in the pulp and paper business, Ross developed a passion for evergreens and first decided to hide buildings on the 86th Street Transverse Road with pine trees. Eventually Ross decided to plant a Pinetum and added about 35 trees a year with species from Macedonia, Japan, and the Himalayas. The Himalayan pines were his favorite, known as a hardy evergreen that grows 30 to 50 feet tall, with soft, blue-green needles. You can see them lining the pathways from the East Drive (through East Pinetum), along the Great Lawn to the West Drive.
Stop 12 Great Lawn
82nd StreetIn the center of Central Park lies the Great Lawn, a green pasture of 55-acres that is considered one of the most famous lawns in the world. Located mid-park from 79th to 85th Streets, the Great Lawn is a wonderful place to have a picnic on a spring afternoon or to catch some rays in the summer sun. It is open from mid-April until mid-November.Historically, the Great Lawn was not in the original plan of Central Park. The space was instead occupied by the rectangular Croton Reservoir, constructed in 1842. However, in 1917, the reservoir was made obsolete when a new water tunnel was built and all of its water was drained in 1931. During the Great Depression the area served as the home of displaced residents and surplus supplies and materials leftover from the construction of a subway line and Rockefeller Center.Over the next few years there was much debate about what would be done with the space. Options on the table included everything from a WWI Memorial to an opera house to underground parking garages.Eventually the debate concluded in 1937 and grass was planted, creating the oval styled-field now known as the Great Lawn. Then, during the 1950s, eight baseball diamonds were installed along the outer rim of the lawn.This splendor did not last long, though, and in the 1960s and 1970s the Great Lawn became overused and unkempt. However, in 1995, with a large-scale restoration effort from the Central Park Conservancy, the Great Lawn was once again lush as ever and has remained that way since.While it is a wide and vast serene greenery in the city, the Great Lawn is famous not just for its beauty. It has been the long time host to annual concerts such as the New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera, as well as other memorable performances by world-class acts such as Diana Ross, Bon Jovi and Garth Brooks.
Stop 13 Turtle Pond
Stop 14 Belvedere Castle
West 79th StreetNamed for the Italian meaning "beautiful view," Central Park's Belvedere Castle offers park goers exactly what its name implies. With its two balconies, it supplies wonderful panoramic views that include some of Central Park's most beautiful and famous landmarks: the Delacorte Theater, the Great Lawn, the Turtle Pond and the Ramble.Originally designed in 1865 by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, Belvedere Castle was intended to be a Victorian Folly, a fantasy structure that provides a great backdrop and views, but without a real intended purpose. With its strong stone façade, grand turret and flag, the castle was merely a stunning attraction in Central Park.This all changed in 1919 when the National Weather Service began taking measurements from the castle's tower with scientific instruments that determine wind speed and direction. Additionally, just south of the castle, other data such as the rainfall was recorded and sent to the weather service's forecast office at Brookhaven National Library on Long Island. Belvedere Castle is still used for this purpose today.Over the decades the castle suffered from deterioration and in 1983, the Central Park Conservancy renovated and reopened the structure, which now also serves as the Henry Luce Nature Observatory.Inside, visitors will discover a vast collection of natural history artifacts, such as skeletons and paper mâché birds. There are also microscopes and telescopes on the premise to give guests insight into how naturalists study the world.Those who want to explore Central Park from a scientific standpoint can use the castle's field packs that contain binoculars, reference materials, maps and a notepad to jot down observations.Finally, for birdwatchers, the castle is an ideal location to catch a glimpse of a hawk, kestrel or osprey.
Stop 15 Delacorte Theater
West 81st StreetThe Delacorte Theater is the summer home of the Public Theater. Each season, more than 100,000 people from across the country, and around the world, enjoy free performances at this open-air theater.Tickets are free. Theater-goers need only wait on line — a New York City tradition for more than 45 years.In 1954, Public Theater founder Joseph Papp began producing a series of traveling Shakespeare productions. Papp’s Shakespeare Workshop found a permanent home in the 1960s on the lawn in front of Central Park’s Belvedere Lake (now Turtle Pond). Philanthropist George T. Delacorte, Jr. donated funds to replace the theater’s folding chairs and portable stage with a permanent amphitheatre. In 1962, the Delacorte Theater officially opened with a production of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice starring George C. Scott and James Earl Jones.In addition to thirty-five works by Shakespeare, The Delacorte has been home to The Public Theater's productions of other classic works with actors such as Meryl Streep, Denzel Washington, Natalie Portman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Dreyfuss, and Kevin Kline.
Stop 16 Shakespeare Garden
West 79th StreetA rather less-frequented attraction of the park, the Shakespeare Garden is the perfect place for a relaxing afternoon in Central Park. Stroll along its winding paths amidst the lovely seasonal flora, which is particularly vibrant and lush in the springtime. Due to its serene and romantic atmosphere, the Garden is also a popular spot for weddings.The Garden covers four acres of plants that change according to season. Included among these are rosemary and pansies - alluded to by Ophelia in Hamlet; thistle - mentioned in the play Much Ado About Nothing; and even a white mulberry tree that is said to have grown from a graft of a tree planted by Shakespeare himself in 1602. Bronze plaques with corresponding quotations from Shakespeare's plays have been placed sporadically along the pathways to help identify the various species of plants.Many "Shakespeare Gardens" were created out of reverence for the bard, and they can be found throughout locations in both the US and Britain. Central Park's Shakespeare Garden was formerly known as the "Garden of the Heart" and was renamed in 1916 to mark the 300th anniversary of William Shakespeare's death. Following in the tradition of the other already established gardens, it was filled with the beautiful plants and flowers mentioned in the works of the playwright, as well as those featured in Shakespeare's own private garden in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Bonus Stop Ramble
73rd - 78th StreetThe lush Central Park woodland, known as the Ramble, is composed of 38 acres of winding pathways between 73rd and 78th streets.Described by Frederick Law Olmsted as a "wild garden", the Ramble's maze of trails amidst its abundant flora and fauna contrasts spectacularly with the formality of nearby attractions, such as the Bethesda Terrace. The Ramble is often noted for its bird watching opportunities, where birdwatchers can catch a glimpse of some of the approximately 230 species found in the woods. Visitors can stop to take a look at the Gill, the man-made stream that runs through the Ramble, where one might find a small animal such as a raccoon having ventured out from the underbrush.While the Ramble's flora consists of many species of plants both native and exotic, several of these plants have taken up much of the woodland, such as the Black Cherry and Black Locust, due to lack of proper care. Other species found in the woods include American trees such as the American sycamore, several oaks, the Kentucky coffee tree, the Hackberry, the Yellowwood, and the Cucumber Magnolia, in addition to plants not indigenous to the country, such as the Sophora and the Phellodendron.
Stop 17 The Lake
73rd StreetThe Central Park Lake, in conjunction with the Ramble, creates an essential part of the "Greensward" design plan created by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux when designing the initial features of what would become Central Park.What is now a stunning and picturesque 18-acre lake was once nothing more than a large, untamed swamp. After its excavation in 1857, the Lake was opened for its first winter of ice-skating in 1858. Until 1950, the Lake was used for ice-skating during the winter months and boating in the summer. After 1950, however, the skating rink was officially closed, allowing the Lake's former wildlife inhabitants to take up residence there once more. As such, the Lake is now an excellent location for bird watching, where one can spot swans, ducks, and even the occasional egret or heron.The second largest man-made body of water in the Park, the Lake provides wonderful opportunities for viewing its abundant flora and fauna from rowboats, which are available for rent during the spring and summer months at the Loeb Boathouse. Aside from taking a boat, other options for nature sightseeing include taking a Venetian-style gondola ride around the Lake, or simply walking along the shore.Like many other Park attractions, the Lake was also restored by the Central Park Conservancy. It was reopened to visitors in 2008. The Lake is a sight not to be missed if you're in the mood for a calming boat ride through bamboo patches, bridges, and natural splendor in the Park.
Stop 18 Cherry Hill
72nd StreetOverlooking the Lake lies the peaceful Cherry Hill, located at 72nd street. Though the Hill itself was named for the beautiful cherry blossom trees that bloom there during the springtime, the area is most noted for its 14-foot fountain.The Cherry Hill Fountain, first unveiled in 1860, was originally designed to function as a watering trough for horses. Though no horses drink from the Fountain today, they and their carriages still frequent the area, available for park-goers who wish to take a scenic drive in one of these old-fashioned vehicles. The Fountain was designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, the designer of the Bethesda Fountain, which lies to the west. The Cherry Hill Fountain can be recognized by its
Stop 19 Bow Bridge
75th StreetLike a Victorian confection reflected in the waters of Central Park's Lake, the Bow Bridge gracefully gathers lovers of New York in real life. In reel life the Bridge has been a magnificent setting in films such as Manhattan, The Way We Were and Keeping the Faith.Crafted of cast iron, it was designed with Classical Greek refinement during the mid 19th century by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould. Found mid-park at 74th Street, west of Bethesda Terrace, the bridge spans 60 feet with a walkway constructed of ipe, a South American hardwood that turns a rich deep red when wet. In 2008, eight three and a half foot tall planting urns were returned to the Bridge through historic reconstruction almost 80 years after the original ones went missing.The colors of the Ramble woodland change in hues depending on the season. Springtime heralds the delicate array of papery pink cherry blossoms from the aptly named Cherry Hill bordering one side of the Bow Bridge. And in the warmer months, rowboats propel gently underneath.Photographers especially love to perch by the bridge for stunning shots of Fifth Avenue and Central Park West.For anyone in search of an iconic New York moment, Bow Bridge provides the making of a great one.
Stop 20 Bethesda Fountain & Terrace
North side of 72nd StreetThe Bethesda Fountain, the gorgeous focal point of the Bethesda Terrace, is one of the largest fountains in New York, measuring twenty-six feet high by ninety-six feet wide.It is one of the most well known fountains in the world, and the statue at its center was the only sculpture to have been commissioned as a part of Central Park's original design.This neoclassical sculpture, also known as Angel of the Waters, features an eight-foot bronze angel who stands above four small cherubim representing health, purity, temperance, and peace.The angel herself carries a lily in one hand while the other remains outstretched, poised in the action of delivering a blessing on the water pouring from around her feet and into the basin at the bottom of the fountain. This is to commemorate the 1842 opening of the Croton Aqueduct, which supplied New York City with fresh water.Angel of the Waters was designed by Emma Stebbins in 1868 and dedicated in 1873, at which point Stebbins became the first woman to receive commission for a major work of art in the city of New York. Stebbins linked the new, pure city water flowing from the fountain to the healing powers of the biblical pool, and quoted John 5:2-4 at the statue's dedication, saying "Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called... Bethesda... whoever then first after the troubling of the waters stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
Stop 21 Loeb Boathouse
East 74th StreetThe iconic Loeb Boathouse offers boat rentals and gondola rides, as well as an exquisite dining experience all under one striking, green patina-coated roof.Visitors can make use of the Boathouse's shuttle service, which makes stops along upper Fifth Avenue and can also stop at 80th Street and Fifth Avenue to meet or drop off guests who have parked at the 24-hour Metropolitan Museum parking garage.Recognizing the need for a boathouse at the Lake, Calvert Vaux designed a wooden structure that would last from 1873 until 1954. Vaux's beautiful, two-story, Victorian edifice was eventually torn down, though its original purpose was carried out by its replacement, known as the Loeb Boathouse.Carl M. Loeb opened the new, red brick and limestone Boathouse in 1954. In addition to its traditional functions, the new Boathouse is also the site of the Boathouse Restaurant. With the option of indoor or lakeside seating, at which one can enjoy a seasonal fish dinner, the Boathouse Restaurant is an excellent choice for a relaxing evening spent admiring the beauty of the Park while dining.Private events, such as conferences or weddings, are also commonly held at the Boathouse.
Stop 22 Strawbwerry Fields
West 72nd - 74th StreetStrawberry Fields is a 2.5 acre area of Central Park that pays tribute to the late Beatle, John Lennon, singer, songwriter, musician and peace activist.Fashioned similarly to the original flowing design of the park, Strawberry Fields is lined with tall elm trees, shrubs, flowers and rocks. This area is designated as a quiet zone in Central Park.Strawberry Fields officially reopened on October 9, 1985, the 45th anniversary of John Lennon's birth. Annually, on this date, as well as on the anniversary of John Lennon's death, visitors and fans from all over the globe flock to Strawberry Fields to pay homage to this Beatles' legacy.
Stop 23 Sheep Meadow
65th StreetSheep Meadow is the best example in today’s Park of the pastoral vision that Olmsted and Vaux intended for Central Park’s meadows. Their design called for peaceful expanses of green that inspired calm and refreshing thoughts just by looking at them, not necessarily walking upon them. The fifteen-acre meadow holds true to this intention today as Central Park’s largest lawn without ballfields and as a designated quiet zone. No organized sports or gatherings are allowed on Sheep Meadow to preserve the space for quiet picnicking and relaxation.Originally a rocky and swampy terrain, Sheep Meadow was the most expensive landscape in the Park to construct. Its transformation to a pastoral meadow required the blasting of rock outcrops and the installation of four feet of soil. The landscape was first known as “the Green” or “the Commons,” but became known as “Sheep Meadow” in the early twentieth century due to the ever-present flock of pedigree sheep that grazed the meadow. For nearly fifty years, the sheep spent their days on the meadow and their evenings in the nearby Sheepfold, which is now the landmark Tavern on the Green restaurant.In the 1960s, Sheep Meadow became the iconic gathering spot for New York’s counterculture, including anti-War protests, peace rallies, love-ins, be-ins, draft card burnings, Earth Day celebrations, and popular concerts. These events, and the lack of management and proper maintenance, led to severe damage and erosion on the lawn. By the late 1970s, it was a virtual dustbowl.The restoration of Sheep Meadow was one of the first projects undertaken by the Central Park Conservancy in 1980. The newly lush and well-managed lawn was the first green space that many New Yorkers had ever seen in Central Park. Public excitement over the newly opened lawn inspired and outpouring of support for the nascent Conservancy that empowered its first decade of success.
Stop 24 Tavern on the Green
West 67th StreetEstablished in 1934, when it replaced the sheepfold that had once housed the sheep of Sheep Meadow, Tavern on the Green has since become a New York City icon. The restaurant consisted of several rooms, including the well-known Crystal Room, which offered beautiful views of the adjacent garden. It was the second highest-grossing restaurant in the US owned by an independent party, having earned its revenue from over 500,000 visitors.During its early years, Tavern on the Green was known for its spacious dance floor that offered nightly dancing to live music, surrounded by Elm trees and twinkling lights. As the century progressed, the restaurant was frequented by famous artists and celebrities such as Grace Kelly and Fay Wray. John Lennon celebrated several of his birthdays at Tavern on the Green in the late 70's, and it was the restaurant of choice for opening night festivities of Broadway shows.Tavern on the Green officially reopened on April 24, 2014. It first closed on December 31, 2009 after filing for bankruptcy, was re-opened in October of 2010 as an information center and gift shop, and then closed once again for renovations in 2012 before re-opening in April of 2014.
Bonus Stop Empire Rock
Stop 25 Heckscher Playground
eckscher Playground is not only the oldest playground in Central Park, it is also the largest at nearly three acres. In addition to the typical park attractions, such as a variety of slides, swings, and seesaws, Heckscher Playground features both a water fixture and giant rocks for climbing. It is also famed for its kickball games, which are popular during the summertime.Located at 7th Avenue and Central Park South, Heckscher Playground runs from 61st to 63rd streets and is open from 7:30am until dusk. The Playground opened in 1926, when it was named for August Heckscher Sr., the grandfather of Parks Commissioner August Heckscher III.Complete with its own restrooms and snack carts, the Playground is best suited for children ages 6 to 12. Heckscher Playground is most populated during the spring and summer months.The Central Park Conservancy reconstructed Heckscher Playground in 2005 and the Heckscher Building in 2007. The playground includes a shaded area with swings and slides; a multiuse area comprised of synthetic turf and safety surfacing; and a large, maze-like climber and water feature with tunnels, ramps and slides. Includes two water feature areas during the summer, one area for older children and another geared to younger kids.
Stop 26 The Carasel
East Drive 65th StreetAbout 250,000 people take a ride on the Central Park Carousel every year. The famous ride has been very popular since 1871 when the original attraction opened. At first, the Carousel was not received positively; the park commissioners objected to having commercial enterprises in the park. However, since it was such a success, they eventually realized the potential value of the ride’s revenue. Since then, there have been four different models on the site, each of which has served as a pastime in Central Park.A favorite of park-goers, the first Carousel remained in operation until 1924. It was powered by a mule and horse who walked in a hidden compartment underground below the attraction. The animals were trained to start and stop with a foot tap from the ride’s operator above ground.The next two Carousels in the park were steam-powered and both destroyed by fire. In 1950, the Department of Parks and Recreation began to search for a replacement model and they found one abandoned in an old trolley terminal in Brooklyn’s Coney Island.
Bonus Stop Secret Bolt (City grid planning)
65 & 6The discovery of this itself isn’t much to see.It’s merely a bolt, — a long, jagged piece of metal that was battered into the ground some 200 years ago.But it’s one of the last vestiges of lost New York that lives in plain sight without an official plaque highlighting its existence.And it’s become a popular treasure hunt for New York history enthusiasts and surveying hobbyists alike, a group of people who prefer not to divulge their knowledge of the relics’ precise locations.For years he surveyed and mapped his vision for the new city.Finally, in 1811 he submitted his designs to the city of New York.A modern redrawing of the 1807 version of the Commissioner's Grid plan for Manhattan, a few years before it was adopted in 1811.A modern redrawing of the 1807 version of the Commissioner’s Grid plan for Manhattan, a few years before it was adopted in 1811.But that was the easy part.For nearly a decade he roamed the city, attempting to put either long metal bolts or monuments, three foot, by nine-foot, marble slabs, into nearly 1,000 future intersections.These markers were the necessary precursor to actually building the brand new streets.The work was painstaking and fatiguing, and Randel encountered numerous setbacks.He faced problems with accuracy.The obsessive man tried to ensure all of his measures for future city blocks were perfect.All north-south blocks, recounts Holloway, were to be 260 feet long, and yet one of his monuments just didn’t line up, and he could not figure out why.This monotonous and grueling work went on for years,—planting bolts and monuments, checking calculations, braving the elements,—before any demolition was accomplished.For nearly a decade he roamed the city, attempting to put either long metal bolts or monuments, three foot, by nine-foot, marble slabs, into nearly 1,000 future intersections.These markers were the necessary precursor to actually building the brand new streets.The work was painstaking and fatiguing, and Randel encountered numerous setbacks.He faced problems with accuracy.The obsessive man tried to ensure all of his measures for future city blocks were perfect.All north-south blocks, recounts Holloway, were to be 260 feet long, and yet one of his monuments just didn’t line up, and he could not figure out why.This monotonous and grueling work went on for years,—planting bolts and monuments, checking calculations, braving the elements,—before any demolition was accomplished.
Stop 27 Wollman Rink
65th Street
Stop 28 Gapstow Bridge / The Pond
63rd Street EastsideThe Pond is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Situated below street level, visitors can temporarily ignore the noises of the urban world and take a calming stroll along the winding pathways bordering the water.In addition to the 240 migratory bird species that inhabit the Pond, the area is also known for its lovely sunset views. Crabapple and forsythia trees assist in creating the calming ambiance of the area, and the nearby Hallett Nature Sanctuary educates visitors about the flora and fauna of this area of the Park.This integral part of Olmsted and Vaux’s vision for Central Park was reconstructed by the Central Park Conservancy in 2001.
Bonus Stop Grand Army Plaza
SE corner of park - 59th StreetThe Grand Army Plaza, completed in 1916, is the primary east side entrance to Central Park. One of the four corners of Central Park, the Plaza takes its name from the Union Army in the Civil War. Following in this tradition, a bronze statue of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman has been erected in his honor.The Pulitzer Fountain lies in the second half of Grand Army Plaza, on the southern end. This Fountain features a bronze statue of the Roman goddess of abundance, Pomona.The Grand Army Plaza is perhaps best know as the place to begin a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Park. It is also the place to find art installations by both known artists, such as Paul McCarthy and Liz Larner, and newer, up-and-coming artists.The plaza went through a major renovation during the summer of 2015 with new lamps and benches, based on the design of the original features which were installed in 1916. The Central Park Conservancy replaced the trees around the perimeter lost in a snowstorm in October 2011. The plaza now features a new double row of London plane trees, consistent with the original design. More than three million visitors pass through the plaza on their way to Central Park every year.
Stop 29 Central Park Zoo
East 64th StreetThe Central Park Zoo is a small 6.5-acre zoo. It is part of an integrated system of four zoos and the New York Aquarium managed by the Wildlife Conservation Society, and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.The zoo began in the 1860s as a menagerie, thus making it the first official zoo to open in New York. The zoo was modified in 1934, with the addition of many new buildings ranged in a quadrangle around the sea lion pool. (The zoo from this era has been commonly known as the "1934 Zoo" or "Robert Moses Zoo".) The zoo was renovated in the mid-1980s and reopened in 1988, replacing cages with naturalistic environments.
Stop 30 The Arsenal
64th Street off 5th AvenueIt is older than Central Park itself and represents New York's eternal ability to reimage itself. Begun initially to store arms and ammunition of the New York State Militia in 1848, the Arsenal has proven itself a chameleon building in serving the City in a vast array of ways.Located at 64th Street off Fifth Avenue, this brick structure has additionally served as a police station, a museum, a weather bureau and a zoo. Today it offers a free treat to visitors with an ever-changing art gallery located on its third floor.Now designated an official New York City Landmark, the Arsenal's massive half octagonal tower and other medieval fortress-like Gothic details, combined with a cast iron American eagle over the doorway, was not always to everyone's liking. One resident in 1859 wrote that he wished the Arsenal could be destroyed by an accidental fire. The objections increased when live caged birds joined dinosaurs' skeletons during the late 19th century at a time when the American Museum of Natural History was first housed there.Its usefulness has always been the Arsenal's savior. During the Great Depression it became the headquarters for the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, which it continues to be along with housing numerous other agencies like the Central Park Administration, the New York Wildlife Conservation Society and The Parks Library.Inside the lobby, a multi-story mural created by 1930's WPA artist Allen Saalburg depicts the Arsenal's early history through colorful vignettes of soldiers in formation.With an advanced reservation, history buffs can see the original Greensward Plan which is the blueprint designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux for Central Park.
Stop 31 Balto
East 74th StreetThere is a bronzed hero, near the Tisch Children's Zoo, who stands ready to accept hugs and offer rides to his admiring fans.The hero is Balto the sled dog who has nobly stood on a rock outcropping since 1925. His statue, a big favorite in the Park, is located west of East Drive and 67th Street and north of the Zoo.Back in 1925 Nome, Alaska was stricken with a horrific diphtheria outbreak. Not enough antitoxin was available to treat all the sick until teams of mushers and sled dogs battled a blinding blizzard and traveled 674 miles to deliver the medicine.Balto, a husky, was one of the heroic lead dogs.In recognition of such bravery, the famed Brooklyn born sculptor Frederick George Richard Roth was commissioned to create a lasting tribute.Roth, whose other work at Park includes Tales of Mother Goose and Dancing Goat and Dancing Bear, unveiled the statue on December 15, 1925. The most important among the honored guests was the real Balto himself.Over the past nine decades, Balto’s statue has been a favorite as evidenced by the deep burnishing of his ears and back. Children and others frequently climb up on him for a photo op, or to contemplate life and the stirring words on the statue’s plaque: Endurance · Fidelity · Intelligence. Good words for today's heroes and heroines too!
Stop 32 The Mall
66th - 72nd StreetA walkway leading to the beautiful Bethesda Terrace, the Central Park Mall runs through the middle of the Park from 66th to 72nd street. It remains the sole formal feature of Olmsted and Vaux's naturalistic creation. To the north lies the Terrace Bridge, while the Olmsted Flower Bed is located directly south of the Mall.Once referred to as an "open air hall of reception" by its creators, the Mall was specially designed to accommodate the width of carriages passing through its bounds. Around the turn of the century, these carriages would drop off their wealthy inhabitants at the Mall's starting point, where they could enjoy the natural scenery and mingle with people of lesser status. When these visitors finally reached the Bethesda Terrace, their carriages would be waiting to bring them to their next destination.The Mall is still known as a gathering place, occupied by skateboarders, rollerbladers, and street performers. While strolling along the path, visitors will notice a large number of American elm trees. Popular at the time of their planting, these trees are rather uncommon today, and the Central Park Mall boasts one of the largest plantations of the American elm.The Literary Walk, found at the southern end of the Mall, contains statues of such well-known literary figures as William Shakespeare, Sir Walter Scott, and Robert Burns among others.
Stop 33 Naumburg Bandshell
66th - 72nd StreetCentral Park's Naumburg Bandshell, an original feature of the Park, has come a long way from its beginnings as a mere classical music arena.The site of both a speech delivered by Martin Luther King Jr. and a eulogy read for John Lennon, it has become a place of historical importance within the Park.The original Mould Bandstand was constructed in 1862 as a pagoda that became one of the park’s most familiar landmarks. Back then, the free Saturday afternoon concerts would draw upward of 45,000 people to the Mall on a nice summer day.It was decided that a bigger bandshell was needed, and so the new Naumburg Bandshell was built in 1923.An area under the Wisteria Pergola was expanded to accommodate the new bandshell, gifted by banker Elkan Naumburg. It became home to what was then a new festival in the 1980's called SummerStage.Today, the bandshell hosts free classical concerts, sponsored by the Naumburg family. You can see the schedule of the Naumburg Bandshell’s performances at www.naumburgconcerts.org.The Naumburg Bandshell is located south of Bethesda Terrace between 66th and 72nd streets.
Stop 34 Rumsey Playfield
East Drive 71st StreetRumsey Playfield, which is right off the 5th Avenue and 69th Street entrance to Central Park, is home to many types of music, dance and performance arts, such as the Good Morning America GMA Summer Concert Series and the annual SummerStage Festival, which runs during the months of May through September.In 2016 Central Park Conservancy restored the landscape around Rumsey Playfield. The work included rebuilding paths and expanding irrigation infrastructure in the landscape.Great performers perform at Rumsey Playfield.
Central Park 2
Tennis Courts
West Side between 94th and 96th Streets near the West DriveThe Central Park Tennis Center offers the largest collection of public courts in the city, with twenty-six clay and four hard courts. The courts are open from April — November; more information on hours, lessons, and accessibility can be found here.The modern game of tennis originated in Great Britain in the 1870s. The lawn tennis craze quickly spread to the United States and became part of Central Park's array of sports activities. In the 1880s, open meadows in Central Park were used for temporary lawn tennis courts during the summer months. Tennis greats such as Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg, and John McEnroe have all played in the Park.
Central Park Dairy
Mid-park between 64th and 65th StreeThe Central Park Dairy, which now serves as an information center and gift shop inside the park, was originally intended as a source of fresh milk for children in the late 19th century.The Dairy was constructed in 1870; at this time, fresh milk for children was difficult to find and desperately sought after by parents. The Dairy was built at the southern end on the park, originally the children's section, to provide milk and snacks for children in the cool and relaxing atmosphere near the Pond.
Children's Glade
Great Hill Oval from West 103rd to West 106th StreetThe Peter Jay Sharp Children's Glade was once an overgrown and underused area, but in 2007 the Conservancy's design team added grass glades, stone and tree trunk seating, and country paths to turn the area into a place for children to explore nature, arts and culture. Without formal fences and floors, a child's imagination is free to roam. The Glade is the perfect "stage" for storytelling, music, dance and theater. A variety of native plantings dot the landscape, including violets, mayapples and woodland sunflowers. Dogwoods, tulip trees, pitch pines and chestnut oaks combine to provide an elegant shade canopy. Black raspberries, Alleghany blackberries and flame azaleas are among the shrubs that surround the intimate spaces. In the evening of August 2009 the Glade was struck with a powerful microburst, similar to a tornado. Hundreds of trees in the Glade and the Great Hill were destroyed. Today, thanks to the work of the Conservancy, the areas have been replanted and are thriving.
Minton Tile Ceiling
Bethesda TerraceBethesda Terrace Arcade is the arched, interior walkway in the center of the park that links the Mall to Bethesda Fountain and the Central Park Lake. Created in the 1860s, the Arcade features a stunning tiled ceiling and was designed by Jacob Wrey Mould.The ceiling features than 15,000 colorful, patterned encaustic tiles, made by England’s famous Minton Tile Company, Encaustic tiles, originally used on floors of European cathedrals, are made of colored clays which are inlaid and fired to form the design, as opposed to ordinary tiles where the color is applied to the surface. Bethesda Arcade is the only place in the world where these special tiles are used for a ceiling. It is more common to see Minton’s encaustic tiles used as flooring, for example, in the US Capitol Building.Eventually, the 50-ton ceiling weakened and deteriorated. In the 1980s, the tiles were removed for cleaning. The beautifully restored Bethesda Terrace Arcade re-opened to the public in 2007.
Ladies Pavillion
75th and West DriveCentral Park's Ladies Pavilion is a secluded spot located near 75th Street on the west side of the park, next to The Lake. The Pavilion's antique-style construction, location, and beauty have made it one of the most sought-after park locations for special events, especially weddings ceremonies and photo shoots.The Pavilion is made from cast iron, slate, wood, and stone and is situated on The Lake at Hernshead, a rock structure that resembles the shape of a heron. The Pavilion's floor is made from Manhattan schist coping stones that had originally been part of another Central Park structure. Coupled with the Pavilion's lakeside location and ample roof, the stone floor makes the Pavilion a cool respite on hot summer days. Bluestone steps lead to the Pavilion from two sides – one entrance faces the lake, and the other faces the path to the Pavilion. The roof is made of gray slate and is crowned with intricate ironwork that both enhances its aesthetic appeal and discourages birds from landing there. Thick iron poles resplendent with intricate Victorian designs support the roof. The Pavilion measures approximately 9 by 15 feet and weighs about 2 tons. Its ironwork is painted gray with gold-leaf accents; the arcade frieze is light green with gray, and the railings are painted gray. When the Pavilion was restored in 1972, a concrete foundation was poured to protect the structure. The openness and airiness of the Pavilion make it ideal for gatherings and allows plenty of photo opportunities from almost any angle.The name Hernshead was coined by Olmsted and Vaux, the park's designers. The Pavilion's location near this promontory makes it an ideal location for viewing The Lake as well as enjoying the flowers that are planted here, which include shrubs, herbs, an aquatic flora. The Pavilion's out-of-the-way location and Victorian-style design makes this structure a popular first-date spot. However, the Pavilion wasn't always at Hernshead. It was built in 1871 by Jacob Wrey Mould, and it was placed at 59th Street and Eighth Avenue to serve park visitors who needed to wait for trolley service at the end of the day. People traveled from distant points in Manhattan and beyond to enjoy Central Park's many natural amenities, but waiting in poor weather conditions was an obstacle. The creation of this and other shelters at trolley pick-up points helped make Central Park accessible to all, as it was intended to be. The Pavilion may have once included benches, though it does not have seating today.
Chess & Cheackers
East Side 65th Street TransverseChess and checkers in Central Park is one of New York’s most well-known traditions. In addition to being speckled with tables ideal for a game, Central Park hosts some facilities specifically designed to encourage the playing of chess and checkers.The Chess & Checkers House offers an ideal spot to play, as well as the option to borrow chess, checkers, dominoes and backgammon. Click on the link for more information.It is also possible to play in many locations throughout the park. Some tables have chess boards already pre-imprinted.On certain summer weekends, players young and old can enjoy the expertise of grandmaster chess players. These events, usually held on Saturdays, include lectures on chess strategy. Additionally, up to 30 players at a time play each grandmaster. This chess series is free for adults and children.Alternatively, you can bring your own chess board and pieces and wait to be approached.